This past week has been a rough one, as we found ourselves admitted to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital last Thursday night after Gavin came down with a fever.
I thought he felt hot Thursday so I had my sister Marina swing by after work to check his temp. Sure enough, nurse Marina got a 101.7 reading. We all packed our bags and had my mom come up to stay with Emmy. By the time we reached the hospital, his fever was 102.7. I was a mess by this point. The triage nurse explained how serious a fever in a newborn was and told us he would have blood drawn, a catheter for a urine sample, an IV put in for antibiotics and fluids and a spinal tap done!
After 4 hours in the ER meeting with doctors, nurses and getting all these procedures done, we were finally taken to a room by midnight. Of course, I couldn't sleep a wink because I was worried and overly tired. Poor Gavin's fever stayed up all night and through the next day.
Apparently, it is standard procedure to do all this with any 8-week old and under that has a fever greater than 100.4. It was so hard to watch your baby go through all this! We finally got discharged late Saturday night after all the tests and cultures came back negative confirming it was just a virus. His big sis had a random 24 hour virus the day before but I just assumed he was immune to things like this. I guess I was wrong.
We are trying to get back to normal around here and just so thankful that it was just a virus!! I will take germs a little more serious now around the newborns. We definitely don't want to find ourselves or anyone else in this situation again. It was probably the most emotionally exhausting experience I've ever been through.
A big HUGE thank you to our families who helped out so much! My mom and Becky were so great to tag team keeping Emmy for 4 nights. What a relief to know she was in good hands. I could never repay you guys for that - thank you, thank you! Thanks to Aunt Rina for helping us check in to Vanderbilt and for coming to love on Gavin while we got some sanity! I was so glad to have you by my side through this process!!! And thanks to Nana for coming to hold him. We are so thankful for everyone's love, support and prayers during our ordeal.

2 comments:
OMG, I am so sorry to hear this and I can't believe I didn't know it was going on. So thankful to hear that Baby Gavin is on the mend, but I can't imagine how scary that must have been. Big hugs to all of you, and I hope you get some much needed rest, Mama. XOXO
So thankful all turned out well and that he's feeling better. What a stressful event!!
Post a Comment