Saturday, January 15, 2011

Bye Bye Paci and Yellow Blankee!

Today was a big day at the Estep household. Emmy gave her up her 3rd and FINAL pacifier. We have talked this up all week - that she would need to give her paci to a baby who needed it because she was a big girl now. Since the only "baby" she knows right now is our friend Baby Jackson (nevermind he is 16 months old), it was a clear choice. So when she woke up this morning, she gleefully handed me paci and said "give to Baby Jackson." Since she was ready, I knew we needed to take the initiative right then. So early this morning we headed to Baby Jackson's house to hand it off. I will never forget the proud look on her face. She was so happy with herself for being a big girl.

Fast forward...two hours later: NAPTIME. Since Em only got her paci at naptime and night night, these were our two big obstacles today. Naptime wasn't too bad - she just talked and played with her dolls and stuffed animals the whole time. No shut-eye but No major crying. We'll take it!

Fast forward again...five hours later: NIGHT NIGHT TIME. A very tired Emmy tried to be a big girl and get in her crib. Mind you, my child is a pretty good sleeper and doesn't usually have issues going to sleep. When she wouldn't even lay down for her songs, I knew were were in trouble and a breakdown was fast approaching. I finally just left the room and shut her door. She only cried for about 30 minutes, but it seemed like an eternity! I went in there once to try and calm her and realized that was a big mistake. Nothing could soothe her...she was mourning the loss of something very special to her. My heart was breaking...

As I write this, it is all quiet on the moniter. But I fear tonight and the wakings that may come. Since Em took a big step today and gave up her favorite thing in the world, Seth has challenged me to do the same. He feels it is time to give up my childhood blanket that still sleeps in the bed with me. He said I need to empathize with her and practice what I preach. My sweet little yellow blankee that I've had all my life. Sigh...my heart is breaking again. :(


Above: Emmy gets ready for her nap and decides her teddy bear will comfort her. :) Sweet!

5 comments:

Becky said...

boo for Seth making you give up your blankee...never will happen at my house!

Robin Estep said...

I knew you would understand, Becky! It's a sad night!

Allison {A Glimpse Inside} said...

Robin, I totally still have my blankie too! And it is yellow! It used to be in bed with me all the time and when Travis and I got engaged, he asked if I would please stop having it. So I sadly obliged. But... when he deploys, I totally pull it back out! haha

Robin Estep said...

Thanks Allison! Glad to hear I'm not the only big girl with a blankie. My husband thought I had to be the only person in the world at this age (except my sister) who still has a blankie. I may have to sneak mine back out occassionally too! :)

Jenny said...

Way to go Emme! The first night is always the hardest. I hope she made it through the night....Maggie is still totally addicted to her paci. I'm so impressed!